February 14, 2009

Today was hard, but not as hard as I thought it would be.  I’m a sappy romantic on the best of days, but Valentine’s Day has always been my over-the-top day.  I thought it would just kill me.

But know what, Asshole?  It didn’t.

I went to the beach at sunrise and just sat there, waiting for the sun to come up.  I went through all my memories of Jennifer.  My favorite memories.  By the time people came out to the beach, I was heading back to my house, a smile on my face and I felt the band around my heart start to loosen.

When I got back home, Ava was waiting for me.  We spent the whole day doing stupid touristy things.  We drove out to Santa Monica and hit the pier, ate too much junk food and laughed.  A lot.

She’s upstairs now, sleeping.  I love that little girl more than anyone, and I mean anyone, I’ve ever known.  It felt good to be with her – really all the way with her.

It was a good day.

1 comments:

TaraLeigh October 28, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

I love that Vday became Ava day in the end. She is his favorite valentine. ;)

The hauntings and the hardships are great in this story. Very real, and very Richie.